In view of grooming the students for Industry Expectations, students industrial exposure is exposed to Industry through various Co-Curricular and Extra-curricular activities such as
i. Industrial Visits
Regular Industrial Visits relevant to the respective departments are arranged from the first year onwards to help them understand the industry expectations.
ii. In-Plant Trainings
Arranged periodically for a duration varying from 2 weeks to 4 weeks.
Students across all the years and departments are deputed for undertaking In-Plant Training at more than Industries across India.
The University Emphasizes on Technical Excellence, with its strong Industry Academia Collaborations the university assigns Internships and project work for Students. Student Industry Projects are unpaid projects undertaken by students in their final year, each student is assigned with an industry supervisor and an academic supervisor at the University
iv. Electives Introduced Based On Industries Inputs Promoting Job Opportunities
The University has introduced Elective Subjects based on the Recommendation from the Industry.
Following list gives the list of Electives Introduced based on the Industry Branch of Engineering Expert Advisor Outcomes (Course Refinement)
10 Branches of UG Primary Advisor: NASSCOM
Secondary Advisor: TCS, WIPRO, EMC2, KPIT, Alcatal, Infosys, Lucent, iGate etc., Enable the Development of the Foundational Skills in Process, Tools and Techniques related to Product Development
Insight into Application of Academic Topics into real world Engineering projects
Computer Science Engineering / Information Technology Advisor: Infosys Introduced New Electives such as
- Business Intelligence (Data Analytics)
- Building Enterprise Applications
- Maintenance Technology
Infosys Trained the Faculty members through FDP held at Mahindra City
Mechanical Engineering Advisor: Addision & Co. Introduction of Courses
• Tool Design Engineering
• Advanced Metrology and Quality Stds.
Mechanical Engineering / Automobile Engg Advisor: Simpson & Co. Introduction of Courses
• IC Engine Design
• Advanced Theory of Internal Combustion Engines
Mechanical, Automobile& Aeronautical Engineering Advisor: IZFP, Fraunhofer Institute, Germany Introduction of Courses & Teaching module
• Non Destructive Testing
• A module on Metal Physics
Purpose of Industrial Training Programmes
Industrial-Institutional Interaction Cell has synergized with more than 2800 Industries / Institutes and has collaborated with more than 200 Organisations for various Academic and Research Activities essentially to offer Joint Degree Programmes, In-Plant Trainings, Internships, Projects, R&D, Consultancy, Industry Recommended Electives, Curriculum Updates, Guest Lectures, Industrial Visits, Facility Creations, and Value Added Courses etc.
Best practice of Vel Tech is Industry–University Interaction, Partnership and Collaboration. The Teaching and Learning practices were made Learner –Centric, to enhance the employability of students. The outcome of this practice has resulted towards initiation of 20 plus programmes at both UG & PG level. Partnering with industries in the core domain has empowered students to get placed in diversified industries. More than70 % of our students are placed in MNCs and consultancy project worth 47 lakh has been accomplished.
To make the students Industry ready and in pursuit of providing world class quality education, Vel Tech Dr.RR & Dr.SR University arranges structured programs such as In Plant Training, Project and Internship in coordination with reputed industries / Research & scientific labs. The program is regularly monitored by faculty members and experts from industries, to optimize the technical and professional skills meeting the expectations of the industries.
Industrial Training Program Schedule
Industrial training is meant to correlate theory and actual practices in the industries. Through this training:
- Students are exposed to Industrial environment.
- Students will have exposure to the best practices followed by Industries.
- Students get opportunities to work with supervisory staff, Industrial workers and to understand their habits, attitudes and approaches to problem solving.
- Students get familiarized with Design, Manufacturing, Testing and Analysis, Automation, Purchase procedures and Requirements, 5S, Six Sigma, TPM, TQM, Materials, Machines, Processes, Products, etc.
- Students will understand and find solutions to the problems that are encountered when increasing the size and scale of operations in Industry.
- Students get opportunity to apply the Technical Knowledge acquired through academic studies in problem solving.
- Students are able to understand application oriented subjects better.
- Students learn to work under constraints of time and cost within which goods are to be produced and to render quality services.
- Students develop managerial skills such as Team Work, Leadership, Time Management.
- Students develop conceptual skill as they get opportunities to experiment with Innovative Ideas.
- Students understand the organization structure of Industries, Departmental Responsibilities, Scope, Functions and Job responsibilities in various departments of an organization.
Each Student is counseled / guided continuously and monitored throughout the Project/In-Plant Training period for effective transformation to become Industry Ready. Regular monitoring and feedback helps in mapping the skills/attributes of the students with the requirements of Industries which in turn creates Placement opportunities in the Multi National Companies/Research & Scientific Labs.
Project/Internship – Salient Features
- Project/Internship is an institutionalized process to bridge the gap between Theoretical and Practical Knowledge.
- Students are provided with a wide range of company list relevant to their engineering branch and they are free to select the company of their choice.
- Project/Internship are an integral part of the curriculum where students would earn academic credits on successful completion.
- Projects are reviewed four times by a panel of Industry experts, Internal Project Guide, Dean, and HOD during the period of the project for guidance and counseling. The projects are assessed for its Technical Input, Innovative/Conceptual, Skills, Application, Future Scope, etc.
- On completion of the Project/Internship, a detailed report should be prepared individually by each student and the Project should be approved and accepted by the Industry Guide and to be submitted to the department.
- Attendance, Punctuality, Dress code, Safety norms as per industry practices are strictly followed by the students.
- Best projects are identified and Funding agencies are approached by the University for funding these Projects.
- Students are encouraged to participate in different Project Competitions, National/International level and thus foster competitive skill among the students.
Benefits of Internship/Project
- Placement followed by Internship/Project.
- Fosters skills sought by industries for recruitment.
- Stipend during Internship/Project.
- Communication Skills.
- Managerial skills such as Team Work, Leadership, Time Management, and Conceptual Skills,
- Students get exposure to real time experience and actual working conditions.
- Develops professional skills.
- Direct contribution to meet industry expectations.
- Facilitates changes in the curriculum in line with the modern trends and best practices as in world class industries.
- Access to the best expertise on specialized areas and state-of-art facilities.
- Foster closer cooperation between University and Industry.
- Internship & opportunities to pursue Higher Studies in Foreign Universities.